Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Elephant Who Liked to Smash Small Cars

The Elephant Who Liked To Smash Small CarsThe Elephant Who Liked To Smash Small Cars by Jean Merrill

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


A friend of mine recommended this to me, saying it was a little demented for a child's book. Boy, was he right!

The plot is as follows: An elephant likes to smash small cars(although in one instance, it looks like he's attempting to have sex with one.) He's a car wrecking machine. One day, a car dealership specializing in small cars opens in the neighborhood and an orgy of car smashing destruction ensues. The dealer, his business obviously ruined, starts stocking large cars, too big for the elephant to smash. He then proceeds to repeatedly run over the elephant for the sole purpose of teaching him a lesson...

My girlfriend at the time of my reading was a little weirded out by the book and asked me what lesson it was supposed to teach a young reader. I smirked and said "If you act like a jerk, someone is going to settle your hash sooner or later." She wasn't amused.

I wish my mom would have read this to me when I was a youngling. Funny stuff, even for adults.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment