Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Hollow Cube is a Lonely Space

A Hollow Cube is a Lonely SpaceA Hollow Cube is a Lonely Space by S. D. Foster

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


A Hollow Cube is a Lonely Space is a collection of Bizarro short stories by S.D. Foster.

A book of short stories, especially those written by a new author, is always a dicey proposition. Fortunately, S.D. Foster has a good grasp of the form. The stories within range from just a page to eight pages.

The 24 stories within cover quite a bit of ground. Some are a funny, some sad, and some thought provoking. All are more than a little strange. Standouts for me include Slothra, the story of an aging giant monster, Snowman, the tale of a man accidentally befriending an obnoxious snowman and waiting for winter to end, and The Course of Clementine, the story of a fruit's life.

Even though their writing styles are different, A Hollow Cube is a Lonely Space reminded me of Bradley Sands' collection, Sorry I Ruined Your Orgy. I'd like to see what S.D. Foster can do in a novel length tale, though.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I didn't really undertsnad Slothra. and i thnk there are 23 stories

    ReplyDelete