Sunday, July 22, 2012

Gotham Central Book Four: Corrigan (Spoilers)

Gotham Central Book Four: CorriganGotham Central Book Four: Corrigan by Greg Rucka
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Allen and Montoya cross paths with some dirty cops. Robin is found dead and the MCU is on the case. Supernatural horrors are afoot and the cops of the MCU try to get home to their families when the situation escalates far beyond their control. Crispus Allen investigates Jim Corrigan, the most corrupt cop on the force...

All good things must come to an end and in the world of graphic novels, few in recent memory were as good as Gotham Central.

With the departure of Mike Lark, the writing was on the wall and things kicked into high gear in this, the last volume.

Yeah, I'm marking this section as spoilers as well. Level Two spoilers, maybe?
1. I loved how Poison Ivy dealt with the corrupt cops.
2. The Dead Robin story was awesome, even though Lippman was being unbelievable dickish.
3. The Eclipso/whatever that magic crisis thing was with the Spectre seemed tacked on and unnecessary
4. Holy Shit! How about the Corrigan thing? Even though Crispus was dead in 52, I was still surprised the way he died.
5. Man, has Renee's life really spiraled out of control since the first book?


If Gotham Central was a television show, here's where the montage of moments from previous episodes would go.
1. Detective Driver was my favorite detective not named Crispus Allen or Renee Montoya
2. Stacy, the temp that turns on the Batsignal, is my favorite background player
3. My favorite line in the entire series was "Tell me you did not just shoot Batman!"
4. I think DC dropped the ball by not locking in Rucka, Brubaker, and Mike Lark to lifetime deals to keep Gotham Central going.
5. I could have used a bit more closure. I know the fates of Crispus Allen and Renee Montoya from 52. I can't remember if that's where Corrigan's hash finally gets settled as well, though.

That's it for me. I'm sad so see Gotham Central go since it's head and shoulders above most other comics. Five easy stars.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment