Thursday, August 30, 2012

Zero Cool

Zero Cool (Hard Case Crime #41)Zero Cool by John Lange
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Peter Ross is an American radiologist in Spain for a conference when he's strong-armed into performing an autopsy on a dead gangster. Something is planted inside the corpse's chest cavity and three gangs are vying for it. Can Pete escape the gangs before he becomes another victim?

I have mixed feelings on this Hard Case by John Lange, aka Michael Critchon. On one hand, it has more twists and turns than any Hard Case in recent memory. The writing is crisp. I didn't really know what was going on until the end. Plus, it had people being gruesomely attacked by a trained falcon.

On the other hand, I didn't care about Peter Ross very much and at no time thought he was in any real danger. Not knowing what the maguffin was for most of the book put a damper on my enjoyment. Most of the bad guys were odd for the sake of being odd, like the professor or the diminutive count.

Not a bad read but not a particularly good one either. I'd give it a 2.5 if I could.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment