Thursday, December 5, 2013

Eyes Closed Tight

Eyes Closed TightEyes Closed Tight by Peter Leonard
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Retired Detroit detective O'Clair runs a resort in Pompano Beach, Florida. When a woman turns up dead at his resort, the old instincts kick in and O'Clair begins investigating the killer, leading to a cold case of his from his Detroit days. When the killer hits close to home, O'Clair must solve the case at any cost...

This was a Netgalley find.

I saw this on Netgalley and since Peter Leonard is the son of Elmore Leonard, I snapped it up. Does the apple fall far from the tree? That's a tough question.

Eyes Closed Tight is well written and started off pretty good. Then something happened that ruined my suspension of disbelief and things started getting way too convolulted for me to enjoy myself.

Would the Florida PD welcome the "assistance" of a retired Detroit cop on an investigation into a body that was found on his property? Somehow, I doubt it. After that initial doubt, I started souring and picking out a lot of things that bugged me. For one thing, I didn't like the shifting viewpoints. I would have rather been kept guessing as to who the killer was rather than have it handed to me. The red herring was the reddest of the red and a little too unbelievable. By the 75% mark, I just wanted it to be over.

All that aside, I'd read another Peter Leonard book as long as the plot didn't revolve around a serial killer with a dubious desire for revenge. Two stars.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment