Monday, March 10, 2014

Reaping the Dark

Reaping the DarkReaping the Dark by Gary McMahon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A robbery goes south and the getaway driver winds up with the money. Now, the planner is on his tail and his only friend has been butchered. Can he and his pregnant girlfriend get out of town with the money before the reaper in the dark claims his prey?

I got this from DarkFuse via Netgalley.

Reaping the Dark feels like a crime book for most of the story, only the people getting ripped off are a cult and they send something supernatural after the crooks for retribution. Or do they?

Like a few of DarkFuse's other novellas, Reaping the Dark feels like an episode of Tales from the Darkside or a similar show, directed by Guy Ritchie during the Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels era. The story seems to be going one way and then makes a U turn near the end. I suspected part of the big twist but the rest of it threw me for a loop.

The reaper of the title was a summoned creature that had much deeper purpose than I originally thought. That's about all I can say. It's a novella so there's not a lot more I can reveal without spoiling things.

Four out of five stars. I'll be on the lookout for more Gary McMahon in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment