Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Hangtown

Hangtown (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator, #2)Hangtown by Karen Sandler
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When a teenager is found hanging from a bridge near her house, Detective Janelle Watkins doesn't think it's suicide. But does that have anything to do with the threatening texts Janelle has been getting?

I got this from Netgalley.

Damaged goods P.I. Janelle Watkins is back in another thriller from Karen Sandler. She's no longer burning herself but Hangtown explores more of the darker aspects of her past, namely a string of anonymous bar hook-ups, in the course of her investigations.

Multiple threads are woven through this tale: Janelle's stalker, the murder of Zach Stinson, and whatever is going on with the guy she's trailing for fraudulent insurance claim. However, my favorite part of the book was the way Janelle's relationships with Ken and Cassie evolved from the first book.

The book wasn't a runaway candidate for thriller of the year, though. I thought the resolution was a little unsatisfying and the plot line regarding the homeless man living on her property seemed thrown in. It was one of those mysteries that is no way solvable, which I'm not a big fan of.

So, I liked it but I wasn't in love with it. I'm also not sure if I liked it enough to continue on with the series. Too many books, too little time, etc. Three out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment