Thursday, June 5, 2014

People I Want to Punch in the Throat

People I Want to Punch in the Throat: True(ish) Tales of an Overachieving UnderachieverPeople I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop-Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges by Jen Mann


People I Want to Punch in the Throat is a collection of blog posts from the blog of the same name.

I got this from Netgalley.

Being a regular contributor to two book blogs and a neglecter of a personal blog, I'm no stranger to blogging so I had ulterior motives for requesting this. I often wonder if people would pay a paltry sum for a distillation of my bloggings.

People I Want to Punch in the Throat covers a wide range of topics, like parents doing their kids homework for them, meeting her husband on the internet, secretly coveting a mini van, hating to clean, her three year old being a racist, getting tricked into going to a swinger's party, and various points in between. They're all pretty funny.

Jen's writing style is pretty damn funny. I quoted numerous lines out loud to my girlfriend, who laughed before asking me what the hell I was reading. I kept picturing Tina Fey playing Jen in a movie or TV version of the blog.

It's a pretty funny read but, no surprising considering the source, you're reading a bunch of blog entries. It's like reading a collection of Chuck Klosterman essays without all the pretension. It was really entertaining but I'm not sure I'd want to pay for it when I could get it for free elsewhere. How many times have I said that... ?

3.5 out of 5 stars. Funny and definitely worth the time.

Correction:  Jen informs me that the content is not gleaned from her blog and is in fact available nowhere else.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Dan,

    Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed it and thought it was funny. Also, I'm honored for you to say Tine Fey could play me, that would be awesome. I wanted to point one thing out so your review is more accurate. The essays in my book are NOT available anywhere else. They are exclusive to the book, so you can't get it free elsewhere. Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete