Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Review: One Night in Sixes

One Night in Sixes One Night in Sixes by Arianne "Tex" Thompson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

In order to sell some horses, Elim and Sil cross the border to Sixes to try to sell the herd. However, things are never so easy in border towns...

I've been interested in this book for a while and was pretty stoked when it came up on Netgalley.

Weird Westerns are an easy sell for me and the world of One Night in Sixes was a very interesting one, one where some folk have magical talents. Elim is a mule, a halfbreed brave with mottled skin. Sil is a northman with cold-related powers.

While the world was interesting, I was pretty bored most of the time. It may be because of reduced reading time the past week but I felt like, aside from the initial setup, it took forever for anything of substance to happen. In some ways, the book is a weird western version of "The Night Of." Once Elim gets into his predicament, he fades into the background for the most part.

I don't have much else to say. I think the world building was excellent but a stage is only as good as the play performed on it. Two out of five stars. A shame since I really wanted to love this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment