Friday, September 16, 2016

Review: Eat the Night

Eat the Night Eat the Night by Tim Waggoner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Even before discovering a secret basement in the house she shares with her husband, Joan Lantz was troubled by dreams of a mass-suicide in the jungles of Suriname years before. But what do those things have to do with Mark Maegarr, the long-dead leader of the death cult, and Kevin Benecke, agent of The Agency?

I got this from Netgally via DarkFuse.

Eat the Night was another crazy tale from Tim Waggoner, teller of crazy tales. It had some Lovecraftian overtones without directly using the mythos. A universe careening toward entropy with various beasties helping it along and an Agency bent on pulling the parking brake? Cool premise!

It seemed like a haunted house tale at first. I hate to admit it but I would explore the shit out of a previously unknown room of my house. Joan avoids thinking about her crazy dreams and crazier past as both come up to bite her in the ass. The Agency was a nice touch. I like that instead of a government agency with huge funds, The Agency is short on man-power and resources AND is the only thing standing between the human race and entropy.

Maegarr and his rock and roll death cult made chilling foils. Inspired by the Jonestown Massacre, the death cult was all too plausible.

Overall, Eat the Night was a fun gory read. If I had to bitch about some things, I'd say that the ending felt a little rushed and the tone of the ending didn't really match the rest of the book. 3.5 out of 5 stars. Flavor for the feast!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment