Sunday, March 18, 2018

Review: Look For Her

Look For Her Look For Her by Emily Winslow
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

When DNA evidence re-opens a case forty-years cold, Morris Keene and his former partner, new mother Chloe Frohmann go looking to solve the disappearance and murder of Annalise Wood. Only, things get very complicated very quickly...

I got this in my first PageHabit horror box. It is in no way a horror novel but was pretty great none the less.


Annalise Wood disappeared on her way from school one day in 1976 and was never seen again. Her body was eventually found in a shallow grave and, years later, DNA evidence on the skirt leads to a suspect. However, that wouldn't be much of a story.

This is the fourth book in the Keene and Frohmann series but I didn't feel lost. The relationship between Keene and Frohmann threw enough clues about what happened in the previous books to keep me in the loop AND make me want to read the previous three, which brings me to my next point: This book was great.

The writing style reminded me of Tana French a bit and Keene and Frohmann behaved more like the Dublin Murder Squad than typical fictitious cops. There was lots of driving around and talking to people. The added wrinkles were Dr. Laurie Ambrose, a therapist with connections to the case, and Annalise Williams, one of her patients that was a little too obsessed with the disappearance of Annalise in the 70s.

What looked to be a straightforward case wound back in on itself numerous times. I kept setting the book down to bring my wife up to speed and she was kind enough to pretend to be interested. Once I dug in, stopping for any length of time was maddening.

The ending was great and the epilogue pretty much wrapped everything up. Apart from it being in the PageHabit horror box instead of an actual horror novel, I have no complaints. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment