Sunday, March 11, 2018

Review: The Summer Job: A Satanic Thriller

The Summer Job: A Satanic Thriller The Summer Job: A Satanic Thriller by Adam Cesare
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When Claire takes a job at a hotel in a sleepy Massachusetts town, she gets more than she bargained for, with wild parties in the woods and a murderous cult lurking in the shadows...

I'm pretty sure this one was on sale when I got it, part of one of my daily cheap-o ebook emails. Adam Cesare is a pretty reliable horror writer for me.

After falling on rough times, Claire takes a summer job in a small town and things quickly go to hell in a wheelbarrow. The hotel is the base of operations of a satanic cult and the group rallying around a prophet in the woods isn't much better. What's a girl to do when she doesn't know who to trust?

The Summer Job reminded me of the movie The House of the Devil, although with a lot more dimension to it. If not for the cellphones and computers, it could have easily taken place during the Satanic Panic of the late 70s and early 80s. There's a paranoid feel to it at times and it's pretty obvious that everyone in town is a shithead of some degree. The burned, blind priest who has some mystery role in things made me think of The Sentinel, which I didn't really enjoy, but I liked his role here.

I enjoyed reading this book but it was never a drop-everything-and-put-my-life-on-hold kind of read. It was one of those books where the main character should have gotten the hell out of town instead of waiting around like an idiot for more bad shit to happen. However, I really enjoyed it when eventually Claire womaned up to settle some shit.

The Summer Job was a fun read but not as enjoyable as Video Night or Exponential. Three out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment